Want to try derby? We’d love to have you, even if you don’t consider yourself “athletic” or if you’ve never been on skates before!
Baby Bats consists of three cycles:
- Basic skating skills: skating, stopping, falling safely, agility work (transitions, slaloms, weaving, etc.)
- Contact skills: taking and giving hits (hip, shoulder), paceline work, whips, positional blocking, tripod work
- Derby strategy: game rules, jamming, defensive/offensive strategy, scrimmage scenarios
New-skater practices are held weekly on Thursday nights at Michael Eric Ogden skate park; new skaters are also welcome to attend league practices on Tuesday evenings and the occasional Saturday.
Skaters are required to wear all safety gear for practice. We do have loaner gear available, as well as discount codes available for several online skate retailers.
Specifically, skaters will need:
- Roller skates– flat derby skates ideally, heeled skates such as Lolly will work at first but are not ideal for contact
- Skate helmet
- Wrist guards, kneepads, elbow pads
- Mouth guard
Interested in joining?
Send us a message, and we’ll send you more information!